08-27-2011
Hemant Poddar

: Aug 2011
: Kolkata
:
: 1 | 0.00 Per Day
Hemant

I have 2 suggestions for Electoral reforms:

1. our ruling group actually represent very low percentage of voters. The ruling group now get 25%-30% of 60% -65% votes polled on average.So in effect they represent only 15-20% of our voters.Democracy means rule by majority. So I suggest that we can either change our voting system to either a. Alternate Voting system which was recently proposed in U K. In this system the voter has to give preferential voting i e by numbering all contestants by their choice. While counting the votes received by candidates getting votes as per their next preference between top two contenders in second round. This will esure we get representatives with more than 50 % voting. or we can go for b. Voting in 2 rounds as prevalent in France. In this ftop two contenders are voted again in 2nd round.While first option is a bit complex for voter but completes the voting process in one go it is big exercise to repeat in 2 nd round in 2nd option but with EVMs it should not be that difficult. This option was also suggested by constitution review comitee during NDA rule.

2. For State funding of elections : This has become a big issue. I suggest that government should set aside a fixed sum constituency wise for both Loksabha and Assembly elections.After election results are out each contestant (including independents) who has received more than a prefixed percentage of votes polled say 25% be paid their actual expenses subject to ceiling fixed.Thereafter the fund left during the polls be pooled together statewise and distributed amongst contesting political parties / groups getting more than a predefined percentage (say 10%) on pro rata basis based on votes polled by their candidates.This combines state funding with performance filtering non serious candidates & groups.