06-13-2011
Ganesan

: Apr 2011
: Chennai
: 70
:
: 166 | 0.03 Per Day

A few thoughts:

I'm not a lawyer, and my knowledge of drafting law is close to zero, though I do have a lot of experience in drafting agreements and the like. I do have strong views on what's going wrong in respect of corruption in the country, and would like to have the wrongs set right, as we may not have another such opportunity for ages. Hence I choose to present my views here, which reflect more of my intent than the actual wordings.

I'll present them in installments, as I need time to reflect on all the 4 documents.

I'll refrain from making comments on things I'm not reasonably sure about. Most of the questions are likely to be taken up and tackled by the more knowledgeable Civil Society members. I'll not carry coal to Newcastle. I'll word my comments carefully not top appear to be too sure, when my intent is only to ask a probing question.

1. Please read: Lokpal Bill 2010 – Main Principals and Framework. Unless we take due care now, are we likely to end up with huge backlog of cases with the Lokpal also soon? Should we have a provision for the Lokpal to refer some of the cases to the lower courts? OR, are there other better alternatives?

2. Shouldn't Sports bodies like the BCCI come under the ambit of the Lokpal? The public believe cricketers are representing India, the nation and not BCCI. When players skip certain "official tours" in preference to, say IPL, they are accused of letting down the nation. This is true in all countries. So, I believe members of even the BCCI should come under the ambit of this Act.

Ganesan. :~)