India Against Corruption

Register

India Against Corruption > INDIA AGAINST CORRUPTION > REGIONAL MOVEMENTS

Keen to initiate anti-corruption peace march

Hi Everyone I believe that time has come for every youth ,who has been ever been frustated by the rampaging .....

04-08-2011

: Apr 2011
: Bangalore
: 39
:
: 13 | 0.00 Per Day
Keen to initiate anti-corruption peace march

Hi Everyone
I believe that time has come for every youth ,who has been ever been frustated by the rampaging corruption our country, to raise his/her voice against this growing menace.
The time has come when we no longer need to remain just a passive audience,but take a solid action against the same.

Allow me to quote few lines from the movie rang de basanti to make my thoughts and intention more clear:

"Jindegi jine ke do hi tariquee hote hain...Ek jo ho raha hain usey chalne do, bardasht karte jao, dusri....jimmadari uthao aur badlo cheezo ko"

On these dreamy lines I would like to propose a peace march to be initiated for those who feel this same way!

Lets start a discussion on how it could be implemented, lets come up with ideas and plans to give this motion a final form in YOUR CITY!

Its Now Or Never
Anurag
06-09-2011

: Jun 2011
:
: 2 | 0.00 Per Day

Hi,
i'm from bangalore. If there is any peace march or demonstration here i'll be keen to participate. Please let me know.
Thanks
06-13-2011

:

Hi Rinki, thanks for showing your interest for this cause.

Earlier,We wanted to use this platform to 'plan' a peace march/demonstration supporting Anna Hazare's cause.
Since Anna's demand for a re-draft of lokpal bill has already been accepted by the government(after his fast unto-death episode),the present situation calls for detailed analysis of the proposed Bill, to highlight its strengths and weaknesses so that the final draft of the Bill can be a comprehensive, strong and democratic law for reigning in pervasive corruption being experienced by many in the country today.

I attach with this email, a recent version of the Jan Lok Pal Bill along with some related background documents for your perusal.I request you to read it, and send your comments on it to the NCPRI and any official platform the Committtee may set up(or post it here), so that a healthy, broad and participatory discussion on the contents of the Bill can take place.

I also urge you to get this message across as many people as you can.

Additionally,If it is felt by volunteers(visiting this website) that a debate/briefing/discussion is needed to be organised in Bangalore, we shall not delay it!
Attached Files
File Type: zip read it.zip (68.0 , 9 views)
06-13-2011

: Chennai
: 70
:
: 166 | 0.04 Per Day

Dear Anurag,

Thanks. I'll do my best and give my suggestions, and propagate it among my friends.

I guess we'll understand from this that this is not going to be easy to resolve, but if we, the civil society, are determined, we should be able to do our best.

Ganesan. :~)
06-13-2011

:

A few thoughts:

I'm not a lawyer, and my knowledge of drafting law is close to zero, though I do have a lot of experience in drafting agreements and the like. I do have strong views on what's going wrong in respect of corruption in the country, and would like to have the wrongs set right, as we may not have another such opportunity for ages. Hence I choose to present my views here, which reflect more of my intent than the actual wordings.

I'll present them in installments, as I need time to reflect on all the 4 documents.

I'll refrain from making comments on things I'm not reasonably sure about. Most of the questions are likely to be taken up and tackled by the more knowledgeable Civil Society members. I'll not carry coal to Newcastle. I'll word my comments carefully not top appear to be too sure, when my intent is only to ask a probing question.

1. Please read: Lokpal Bill 2010 – Main Principals and Framework. Unless we take due care now, are we likely to end up with huge backlog of cases with the Lokpal also soon? Should we have a provision for the Lokpal to refer some of the cases to the lower courts? OR, are there other better alternatives?

2. Shouldn't Sports bodies like the BCCI come under the ambit of the Lokpal? The public believe cricketers are representing India, the nation and not BCCI. When players skip certain "official tours" in preference to, say IPL, they are accused of letting down the nation. This is true in all countries. So, I believe members of even the BCCI should come under the ambit of this Act.

Ganesan. :~)
06-14-2011

:

Dear Ganesan
I sincerely appreciate your spirit!
Seeing your enthusiasm I am willing to provide some more lokpal bill draft related background documents.I recommend you and every other readers to go through those document.
In addition to providing detailed overview of lokpal bil,these documents also have comments from several activist.You might want to go through them and gain a fair idea
on how to give a shape to your thoughts.

Initially,I was reluctant to pour all the documents in one go as I did not want readers to get bogged down with too much of details.

I would also like to inform that in case some of the queries posted by the readers exceeds ambit of my understanding then I will make every effort to redirect those queries to people who could or even invite some of them on this blog to have an healthy discussion!

Thanks
Anurag Nandan
Attached Files
File Type: zip More Docs 1.zip (66.0 , 4 views)
06-14-2011

:

These are the remaining few documents to read.
Attached Files
File Type: zip More Docs 2.zip (59.5 , 3 views)
06-14-2011

:
Thumbs up

Dear Anurag,

Thanks for these posts.

I read the "Issues and concerns about Jan Lokpal Bill by Prashant Bhushan". Though he could have been more politically circumspect in expressing his views, esp. when he refers to people, I think his views as such are unexceptionable.

The sum and substance: There's conflict of interest when politicians have a major say on matters relating to corruption, and we need a TRULY independent body to check corruption at all levels. Lokpal appears to be the best answer. We should not allow it to be again manipulated in any way by anyone, which is what we're all trying to do.

Ganesan.
06-14-2011

:

Yes,that is precisely correct;Lokpal is the answer.
It is a succesful model which is being used by several countries in some form.

In your previous post you had suggested that a provision could be made for the Lokpal to refer some of the cases to the lower courts.But aren't the lower courts already overladen?
06-14-2011

: Jun 2011
: Patna
:
: 1 | 0.00 Per Day

@Anurag & Ganeshan : This issue has already been addressed by the civil society representatives.According to them,the Lokpal should be a multi-member body that will exercise some quasi- judicial powers but will have the authority to delegate its quasi- judicial powers to a hierarchy of subordinate offices (like CBDT, CBEC etc.) unlike the government's definition according to which Lokpal should be a multi-member body that will exercise all quasi- judicial powers with the members sitting together or in benches (like the Supreme Court or High Court).By carefully examining the delicate differences in these definitions(I have provided examples below taken verbatim from this site from this link : http://news.indiaagainstcorruption.org/?p=2897) one could easily come to the conclusion that the govt. is having malafide intentions.

What should be the definition of ‘Lokpal’?
a. Lokpal should be a multi-member body that will exercise all quasi- judicial powers with the members sitting together or in benches (like the Supreme Court or High Court)
This approach implies that Lokpal will be a group of individuals who will decide on practically all cases. The downside to this approach is that the Lokpal will be flooded and overwhelmed in a backlog of cases in no time. This is the model preferred by the Government because it is certain to be ineffective. The government can claim victory for the bill and at the same time achieve an ineffective Lokpal.
b. Lokpal should be a multi-member body that will exercise some quasi- judicial powers but will have the authority to delegate its quasi- judicial powers to a hierarchy of subordinate offices (like CBDT, CBEC etc.)
This is a two level model where the Lokpal will take up high-profile cases (determined by the amount of money involved in the corruption case or by the rank of the accused) while for all other cases the Lokpal will delegate authority to subordinate officers to handle cases. This approach is easily the most efficient. This is the model recommended by IAC simply because it is the most efficient and likely to have the best impact.
c. Lokpal should be a multi-member body that will exercise supervisory powers over several tiers of officers who will exercise quasi- judicial powers.
In this model the Lokpal only has supervisory powers while the tiers of officers have the power to handle all cases. The downside to this model is that the Lokpal will be weak because it does not have quasi-judicial powers while the bulk of the authority will lie with the officers. It is a mystery as to why this model is even proposed because no one has really supported this model.

India Against Corruption
India Against Corruption is a PUBLIC Forum, NOT associated with any organisation(s).
DISCLAIMER: Members of public post content on this website. We hold no responsibility for the same. However, abuse may be reported to us.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0