India Against Corruption

Register

India Against Corruption > INDIA AGAINST CORRUPTION > Starters > Members Forum

"Example of corruption or poor system"

"Gentle men ! Most often Indian trains found over crowed. Have you ever thought ? Why does a train get .....

05-25-2011

: Apr 2011
: gwalior
: 55
:
: 711 | 0.15 Per Day
"Example of corruption or poor system"

"Gentle men ! Most often Indian trains found over crowed. Have you ever thought ? Why does a train get over crowed ?

First Possibility- People are habitual of travelling without ticket in our country.
Second Possibility- Tickets are sold beyond the capacity of train.

For the First possibility, railway department has appointed TC and magistrate cheking is also done.

But for Second possibility I think railway has not made any solution till today. Why ?

Is railway has rights to sell the tickets beyond the capacity of the trains for general compartement. Is railway has rights to make the people travel in standing mode at the stairs of the gate, at the door of toilet, in the passage in between the seats, in the gallarey and some times at the roof of the compartment. We often see above mention conditions in general compartments. What kind of message does railway department wants to relay ? Earn money by selling as many tickets as can be possible. Is this a unique example of corruption or poor system that we are facing nowadays ?

If any of you have ever seen above mentioned condition then share your experience and views.

Last edited by sunil_mishra; 05-25-2011 at 04:32 PM
05-25-2011

: Mumbai
: 48
:
: 36 | 0.01 Per Day

Railways selling more tickets than train capacity cannot be called corruption - it is a trade-off: Tickets will be available, but if one is not comfortable travelling in crowded trains by all means, he/she can wait for another train with the added disadvantage of perhaps having to wait more than a day (especially for outstation trains). If railway dept. stops selling tickets quoting capacity they will be pulled up by the general populace - it will lead to a riotous situation.

Ok, you may say that because of this railways is getting a lot of money (very true) and that they are not improving services commensurate with that (quite plausible). But consider this: How many bogeys can a train have, and how many trains can be run on the same stretch of track? It all boils down to logistics and safety given the sheer number of people travelling. It is a sad truth that India's population growth far exceeds the pace at with its infrastructure grows - now we cannot put the entire blame on slow growth of infrastructure: It may be growing fast already and reached a point where any faster may not be possible.
05-25-2011

:
"Name the activity"

Railways selling more tickets than train capacity cannot be called corruption - it is a trade-off: Tickets will be available, but if one is not comfortable travelling in crowded trains by all means, he/she can wait for another train with the added disadvantage of perhaps having to wait more than a day (especially for outstation trains). If railway dept. stops selling tickets quoting capacity they will be pulled up by the general populace - it will lead to a riotous situation.

Ok, you may say that because of this railways is getting a lot of money (very true) and that they are not improving services commensurate with that (quite plausible). But consider this: How many bogeys can a train have, and how many trains can be run on the same stretch of track? It all boils down to logistics and safety given the sheer number of people travelling. It is a sad truth that India's population growth far exceeds the pace at with its infrastructure grows - now we cannot put the entire blame on slow growth of infrastructure: It may be growing fast already and reached a point where any faster may not be possible.

"Gentle Man! May I have answer of the following quetions !
1- When do you purchage railway ticket before or after the arrival of train ?
2- When do you have information about boarding condition (over crowded/not) before or after the arrival of train ?
3- What are the charges deducted by the railways when any one wishes to returned the ticket purchaged before arrival of the train and after having the information (after arrival of the train) about over crowded train ?
4- Have you ever seen a message related to boarding capacity of the train being flashed before arrival of the train ?

In my opinion answer of these questions is "An unkown traveller have to face to condition- Either travel in any mode which may result to face any accident or bear the fine(deduction of money at the time of returning ticket).

Can we expect any message related to boarding capacity of the trains being flashed by the railways before the arrival of train?. If such type of message cannot be flashed then just "Name the activity"
Note- These all arguments are done for the Goodness of "unkown travellers" I will like to ask pardon if any one feels hurted.

Last edited by sunil_mishra; 05-25-2011 at 08:25 PM
05-26-2011

:

Mishraji - assume for a moment that the train gets filled to capacity (i.e., all seats and standing places are occupied till the specified limits - not overcrowded, but just upto capacity) at the starting station itself (which is very common in Mumbai locals). What is the solution to this so that people do not have to travel like commodity? Is the solution, then, to not halt the train at the next station? Who is going to check how many people got down, how is this to be done? Apply the same question as to how this is to be determined before selling tickets. Is that feasible at all? Are tickets to be sold by looking at each passenger and counting how many have got in so far?

For charges being deducted while refund - look at it this way: Its a business and its done for profit. There are salaries to pay and there are returns to be shown. Railways is not a non-profit organisation otherwise terms like revenue and turn-over would not apply to it.
05-26-2011

:
Is everything fare in business ?.

Mishraji - assume for a moment that the train gets filled to capacity (i.e., all seats and standing places are occupied till the specified limits - not overcrowded, but just upto capacity) at the starting station itself (which is very common in Mumbai locals). What is the solution to this so that people do not have to travel like commodity? Is the solution, then, to not halt the train at the next station? Who is going to check how many people got down, how is this to be done? Apply the same question as to how this is to be determined before selling tickets. Is that feasible at all? Are tickets to be sold by looking at each passenger and counting how many have got in so far?

For charges being deducted while refund - look at it this way: Its a business and its done for profit. There are salaries to pay and there are returns to be shown. Railways is not a non-profit organisation otherwise terms like revenue and turn-over would not apply to it.
"Gentle man ! Have a look into the following -

"Who is going to check how many people got down, how is this to be done?"

How does railway department handle out reservation system ?

"Its a business and its done for profit."

Is everything fair in business ?.

Last edited by sunil_mishra; 05-26-2011 at 10:22 PM
05-26-2011

:

So you mean that tickets should be distributed exactly like the train reservations? Then what is the difference between reserved seats and unreserved seats. IMO its a lot easier to track reserved seats than tracking all seats.

Not everything is fair in business, but IMHO what the railways is doing cannot be termed as unfair business practice.
05-26-2011

:
"Let the poor may travel comfortably"

So you mean that tickets should be distributed exactly like the train reservations? Then what is the difference between reserved seats and unreserved seats. IMO its a lot easier to track reserved seats than tracking all seats.

Not everything is fair in business, but IMHO what the railways is doing cannot be termed as unfair business practice.
"Gentle man ! I mean-
1- Tickets should be sold according to the capacity of general compartments so that the poor may travel comfortably.
2- Government concern should not being run on profit base.
3- Railway department should increase time limit for returning the ticket and least deduction of money is done at the time when someone wish to return his/her tickets.
If railway is not capable/wish to do so then "You are quite intelligent to define railway's activity"
05-27-2011

:

Well, I have not seen general compartment tickets being sold according to capacity even in the west (however it so happens that people can still travel comfortabley due to the lower population). I don't know how feasible it would be - I mean that would lead to a rush to get tickets (and even black-marketing of tickets). Anyone who reaches late to get tickets will have to wait - this will be worse in case of outstation trains which do not have the frequency of local trains...
05-30-2011

:
"Meaning of poor"

Well, I have not seen general compartment tickets being sold according to capacity even in the west (however it so happens that people can still travel comfortabley due to the lower population). I don't know how feasible it would be - I mean that would lead to a rush to get tickets (and even black-marketing of tickets). Anyone who reaches late to get tickets will have to wait - this will be worse in case of outstation trains which do not have the frequency of local trains...
"Gentle man ! Poor means the person who is not capable to afford reservation or Air condition travelling expenses. The poor are not known as lower population. The poor are never classified by their caste. In my opinion 75% population of india is poor because of uncertain price hike and the percentage is sure to be increased very soon as government is not paying heed towards price hike. Well you too good at your hand and also capable to understand present condition which all of us facing today. Keep it up. I am with you. Thanks.
06-02-2011

:
"view of railway employee"

"Gentle men ! Today i met to an engineer serving in the railway department. I asked about the over crowded general compartment of train. He simply accepted the fact that railway department is being run for taking passenger from one place to another, no matter how they are being taken away. Railway lacks professionalism or in other words railway department is designed for the public welfare like other government department. He also said that we must go for updating the current infrastructure of railway department so that each and every person may enjoy his/her journey.

India Against Corruption
India Against Corruption is a PUBLIC Forum, NOT associated with any organisation(s).
DISCLAIMER: Members of public post content on this website. We hold no responsibility for the same. However, abuse may be reported to us.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0