India Against Corruption

Register

India Against Corruption > ANTIRESERVATION FORUM > DISCUSSIONS on Reservation > Other Reservation > Defense, Sports & Disability - Reservation
New Topics

Why Reservation?

You can recollect or hear from your oldies, most of the Brahmins were in the profession of begging. Whatever they .....

« - | - »

02-06-2012

: Oct 2009
:
: 216 | 0.04 Per Day

You can recollect or hear from your oldies, most of the Brahmins were in the profession of begging. Whatever they could get from the people, they used to prepare food themselves. The day they could not get anything, they would sleep hungry. But they never begged for reservation, why? Because they knew reservation in education and job will hamper the quality of the society and our country. Even today, other upper caste communities are demanding reservations but Brahmins are quiet.
02-06-2012

:

We say give them every monetary benefit or freebies to help all the poor individuals (here too not based on caste or religion). They need not pay a single paise Free food,free stationary,free uniforms and clothes, cash for other expenses and many more. But no reservation in school admission and job. Once they get a level playing field, all the benefits must be withdrawn.
02-06-2012

: Apr 2011
: Chennai
: 70
:
: 166 | 0.03 Per Day

Dear Mr. Vinay Kumar,

I agree that reservation is being grossly misused & abused and wrongly implemented on purpose, and they must all be corrected (e.g., keep removing creamy layer).

But reservation on caste basis, per se, is not wrong.

Reservation on the basis of economic criteria won't set right the problems. All the seats will be garnered by the genetically better endowed, leaving the oppressed communities to continue to rot. They simply can't compete. All people below the poverty line are not the same; a lot of people from the oppressed communities live in the kind of utter poverty that the poor from unreserved castes don't even know of.

Mots of us in cities and towns don't know the kind of poverty, squalor and life without dignity that many from oppressed communities still face.

I agree there's a huge problem with our reservation, and needs correction. But removal of reservation is not the solution.

Ganesan. :~(
02-06-2012

: Aug 2011
: Kanpur UP
: 39
:
: 373 | 0.08 Per Day

Well said sir n the slogan is vry right now a days n keep writting
JAI HIND
02-07-2012

:

Mr Ganesan thank you for coming closer to the agreement. We guess that certain communities or castes are in your mind who are living below poverty line but now after 62 years of reservation for SC/ST (3 generations and continuing) and reservation for OBCs, (most of them rich from the beginning and at par with open category) are getting undue advantage of reservations.
02-07-2012

:

The problem lies in grossly misuse and abuse of the reservation system. Only few questions have to be answered.
1. Why the kin of a rich and already privileged (through reservation) person should get reservation benefits?
2. Why they should get reservation in promotions?
3. Why they should get reservation in purely high skilled areas like IITs,IIMs,AIIMS and other medical and engineering colleges?
02-07-2012

:

This is one side of the story. On the other side, our children are asking why they should be left behind a lesser qualified and lesser deserving candidates even after working so hard?
They would not bother what you are giving to others. But they can not tolerate if their share of the cake is snatched and given to others.
If you accept that poorest of the poor has to be helped out, you must find a way and modalities in all possible manners to reach them but irrespective of caste and religion.
02-07-2012

:

i do not know if you have read a news from Lucknow (UP). Chhatrapati Sahuji Maharaj University, Lucknow has written a letter to Medical Council of India to provide degrees to those SC/ST students who are failed repeatedly. Some of those are trying to clear the exams for 16 years. Is this not an extreme of reservation system? This will go on and on and will be accepted in future because reserved politicians are sitting in Vidhan Sabhas and Parliament.
02-07-2012

: Apr 2011
: Chennai
: 70
:
: 166 | 0.03 Per Day

Dear Mr. Vinay Kumar,

You're partly misinterpreting me.

I agree with your question: "Why the kin of a rich and already privileged (through reservation) person should get reservation benefits?". This is the misuse I'd talked about. You also asked about: "SC/ST (3 generations and continuing) and reservation for OBCs, (at par with open category) getting undue advantage of reservations", I agree, is wrong. Please see conscious my deletion of a few words from your quote.

We're back to square one on your points 2 and 3. We'll agree to disagree.

Remove reservation, and a SC/ ST child would ask, "Why do my genes put me at a disadvantage? What mistake did I do when I was born?" In fact, most of the SC/ ST children still have not seen any benefit of reservations. What was their mistake why they have to live lowly lives?

I agree that our children do also have a case. But as I said, these questions have no answers.

I can cit similar cases:

Why are Americans and the Westerners rich? India was rich and West wasn't. During British rule, they enslaved us and plundered us. That was also the time of industrial revolution, and we missed it. Can we go and get all the wealth they took from us with interest?

My child is born in a middle class family and has access to reasonable education; a poor person's child doesn't have access to these. What mistake did this child do?

A child is born blind, another born maimed, another born with cerebral palsy. What mistake did these children do?

Politicians who loot the country will have their wealth abroad. Even if they go to jail, most of the wealth is benami, and they multiply them in business. So, their children will enjoy them. Can we do anything about it?

These are questions to which we will never have answers. Let's tell our children one important truth: This is NOT a just or a fair world. If they keep seeking fairness everywhere, they will only live disgruntled lives. Let's teach them to accept facts as facts and learn how to swim in this world. Let's teach them to work to make it as fair as possible, not in their self interest, but in the interest of the society.

Read the book, "How To Stop Worrying And Start Living" by Dale Carnegie. Ask your children to read it too. Let's learn about life. They and we will live happy lives.

Reservations is one way of correcting for past generations' unfairness, which gave the rest of us an edge. Instead of keeping on fighting it, let's see how to make it a fair world, so a day will come when there will be no need for reservation.

Read about all truly successful people, almost everyone... They fought against heavy odds and won. The rest of us have lived 'safe' lives because of security provided by the system (genetic, parental, and security-seeking attitude). Teach your child to swim against the current. Not only will they succeed, but they'll also have a happy and thrilling life to talk about, not a mundane life.

Instead of worrying about the handicaps our children face and keep cribbing, let's help them succeed (by proper motivation), so they can tell the world later how they overcame heavy odds and succeeded, and how you played a role in it.

Ganesan. :~)
02-07-2012

: Aug 2011
: Kanpur UP
: 39
:
: 373 | 0.08 Per Day

I m sorry to say sir bt i thnk we hv to cncntrat on corrptn n this is nt related to any particular cast so kindly focus on it
JAI HIND