05-05-2011
rameshiyer

: Apr 2011
: Mumbai
: 44
:
: 6 | 0.00 Per Day
Lokpal not the answer to systemic corruption

Ms. Bhargavi, not sure why you created a new thread with the same contents as the previous one. Anyway, I would stick to my views in my previous post in response to yours, and feel that the Lokpal Bill is not the answer to wide-spread systemic corruption in public life in our country.
Like you, and millions of our fellow citizens, I am amazed too at the rampant bribery, nepotism, and other forms of corruption at the highest levels. Such scams and mega-scams as CWG, 2G, and what-not "G" are coming to light due to the 24X7 news and media exposure. I guess, the common factor "G" stands for Gross corruption !! So, to some extent we should thank the media for bringing these issues to light into public domain. Of course, some would see a conspiracy in this as well, post-Radia tapes, and justifiably so. Like the scams exposed the bad eggs in our govt and political system, the Radia tapes confirmed the same about certain media-persons who were known to show favour to certain politicians even on panel discussions on their channels. The reason for this erosion of professional ethics amongst some media-persons is the same as for those unscrupulous politicians - too much power reposed in them by the system in which they operate.
Coming back to the issue of corruption, I feel there is no point merely throwing mud at the politicians, who are after all one of us, and duly elected by majority of us. Never mind if the supposedly educated huge middle-class by-and-large abstains from voting, preferring to take the family out for a break. Hence, unless the majority (in the true sense of the word) participates in the electoral system, we are not going to see radical changes in the political setup. Criminalization of politics has ensured that no do-gooder with less-than-enviable bank balance can stand and win elections. In fact, such noble souls end up losing even their deposits. So much for cleaning the system et al.
I shall not comment on M.K. Gandhi and his contribution to the country, as I have rather strong views on the same, and shall save it for another day. However, the neo-gandhism which we are witnessing of late, with the emergence of people like Anna Hazare, may well be short-lived. With Baba Ramdev also having resorted to Anna Hazare's unpatented style of protest - of fast-unto-death - this mode may soon lose its importance and sting. Overdoing anything never has its desired results in the long run.
I wish Anna Hazare, with all his good intentions, hadn't embarked on this crusade with such a flawed alternative to the Lokpal Bill drafted by the govt. Those of you who have read the Jan Lokpal Bill (and the govt's version) would have noticed several bizarre provisions suggested therein, which are both impractical and undemocratic. I feel Mr. Hazare has unwittingly lent his name to a "movement" without quite understanding the details of the provisions he so passionately proposes time and again. On the face of it, it appears that certain people who have been wanting to push the Jan Lokpal Bill have been using Mr. Hazare's clean image and long record of public service to further their own hidden agenda. Hence, like our PM, though Mr. Hazare himself is above board, I can't say the same about his new-found coterie and clingers-on. Instead, it would have been wise of Mr. Hazare to start his crusade against corruption by seeking proper implementation of the dozens of laws we already have to fight this menace. One may argue that Lokpal Bill will suceed where other legislations have failed. There is an inherent flaw in that thinking, as where 10 laws / institutions have failed to correct the system, there is no reason for the 11th not to fail as well. You only need to read the draft of the Jan Lokpal Bill (I believe the 26th draft is the latest !!) to know why it will fail, or in my humble opinion won't even see the light of the day in its current avatar. Sure, I sound cynical, but that's because I believe that systemic and sustainable change should always come from within the system, not without. The answer to failed legislation is not more legislation. I shall state some top-of-the-mind suggestions which could have wide implications on how our govt and political system functions -
1. Unfortunately, the founding fathers of our Constitution reposed too much faith among their ilk. We need to correct this by making watchdogs (called the checks and balances) such as CEC, CAG, CVC and even CBI accountable to the Parliament, not the govt of the day. These Constitutional Authorities should enjoy greater degree of autonomy than they do now. This is to ensure good efficient Administration which the citizen are entitled to. This approach was largely responsible for rooting out corruption from public office in Singapore in the 1970s, which was known for rampant corruption (but now known for good governance).
2. We should review and overhaul all our major laws - which were actually enacted during the British rule. The pillars of our justice system - the IPC and Cr.PC were enacted in the late 19th century under prevailing circumstances. These are the first to be overhauled to reflect current social and legal trends and requirements. For instance, the current laws prohibit an under-trial prisoner from voting, but not from standing for elections. So, one can't vote but can become a lawmaker ?? Bizarre. Needless to say, such provisions in many other laws are incorporated by our corrupt and unscrupulous politicians to safeguard their own interests.
3. The Electoral System should be revamped to enable even common citizens with local support to get elected to legislatures. For Independent candidates State-sponsorship to an extent should be considered. Or perhaps donations to such causes should be tax-exempt, as for charitable trusts. Only if educated and "clean" people enter the system will it get revamped from the dynastic system it is today. It appears that the rulers of the erstwhile princely states have been replaced with MPs who continue to hold sway over their constituency for generations, thanks to public awe of them or money/muscle-power, rather than their contributions to society.
4. Have a firm and strong policy to discourage population growth. Govt should give incentives to people for having no children or just one child. Make those having more kids pay higher taxes and impose other disincentives. Over-population is one of the main reasons for much of the woes of our country, like food shortage, malnutrition deaths, lack of healthcare, and this also leads to corruption as there are far too many to share resources which are far too less.
5. Education for all should be strictly implemented, as lack of literacy/education especially in our rural and semi-urban areas has been directly and indirectly fueling the corrupt system all these decades. When people realize their rights and the benefits they are entitled to, they would cast their vote more wisely, instead of falling for a color TV / grinder / few wads of cash at every election.
Finally, I would like to mention, that we the people of India are collectively to accept responsibility for the social and political system we have today. Hence, let the change start from the grass-roots and it will transform India into an enviable nation one day - a dream our former President Dr. A.P.J. Kalam wanted us to pursue. Power to the people !!!

Last edited by rameshiyer; 05-05-2011 at 06:28 PM