India Against Corruption

Register

India Against Corruption > INDIA AGAINST CORRUPTION > Entering Politics Opinion
New Topics

My answers to Anna Hazare”s Questions for people

Dear friends, Here’re my brief initial answers to Anna Hazare”s Questions for people. Any discussion feedback would be welcome for .....

• 1 mystichwm

08-03-2012

: Aug 2012
: Gurgaon
:
: 3 | 0.00 Per Day
My answers to Anna Hazare”s Questions for people

Dear friends,

Here’re my brief initial answers to Anna Hazare”s Questions for people. Any discussion feedback would be welcome for my own clarity. I’m further seeking, introspecting, discussing and getting feedback on these ideas further.

Question 1: What should be the criteria for selection of candidates to ensure that only those people who love the country and want to serve society are selected?
Answer: (a) A candidate’s accountable upright/honest and exemplary track record in their own field that contributed to the society (b) their vision of the future of society and its alignment with Anna’s (c) free from any criminal charges or convictions (d) keeping away from the traditional criteria such as caste, religion, family lineage/affiliation, wealth, length of association, age etc.
If necessary, first internal elections among qualifying candidates can happen before fielding one in the public elections such as Lok Sabha, Vidhan Sabha, Municipalities or Gram-Panchayats.

Question 2: What if the wrong or corrupt people get elected, and how can this be checked?
Answer: Once elected as a controlling majority in the parliament/Vidhan Sabha, “Right to recall” bill should be the first to pass in the parliament even before Lokpal. Details of this bill as often voiced by Anna can be further thought through and worked out. A system of “Recall Vote Bank” in which voting citizens of a constituency can record his/her recall vote (they could withdraw as well) citing the reason. Once the threshold number of such recall votes is above a certain percentage, the elected representative gets recalled under reformed election laws and cannot again stand for election for a certain period of time. This will maintain the pressure on representatives to perform in public interest.

Question 3: What if those who get elected turn corrupt?
Answer: An effective Jan Lok Pal Bill should be passed in the parliament ASAP. Implementation should be addressed thereon in full swing.

Question 4: Our move for a political alternative is to seek change in the system and not change of rule. How can that be ensured?
Answer: The election manifesto of Anna’s political forum should articulate the path to its vision. Various new systems and changes in the existing systems and processes should be proposed which are logical and coherent supporting the articulated vision for the nation.

Question 5: How can it be ensured that people cast their votes without the lure of money?
Answer: This is a process of hands on awareness/education on the reasoning behind patriotism, healthy civil behavior, value of others in our own life, vision of Anna and good examples from healthy cutting edge democratic practices and citizenship from around the globe. (Example: Aamir Khan’s ‘Satyamev Jayate’ moved the hearts of a large number of people on critical social issues. But it needs to go further at the grass-roots level and in daily discussions among ordinary people.
Such awareness will enlighten people of their roles and responsibilities and they will not fall prey to the lures of financial incentives. It’s a difficult job but second to none.

Question 6: From where will the money come to fight elections, and how to bring transparency in our election funding?
Answer: Voluntary and a large number of grass-root small financial contributions from common people (mostly middle to lower middle class) as per their affordability) as evident in Obama election campaign in the US can be a large component of essential fund raising for the Anna political front. Anna movement’s main resource however is people’s conscience themselves that support the cause for anti-corruption and human development. This has the potential/power to outdo any shortfall on financial resource. Progressive transparency in financial accounting and financial usage will help establish financial credibility further.

Harshwardhan Mishra

India Against Corruption
India Against Corruption is a PUBLIC Forum, NOT associated with any organisation(s).
DISCLAIMER: Members of public post content on this website. We hold no responsibility for the same. However, abuse may be reported to us.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0