India Against Corruption

Register

India Against Corruption > INDIA AGAINST CORRUPTION > JAN LOKPAL BILL

lokpal Bill,Corporates and the society

How will the Lokpal bill check the corruption amongst corporates. Yes, I agree that as long as the public servants .....

06-15-2011

: Jun 2011
: gurgaon
:
: 1 | 0.00 Per Day
lokpal Bill,Corporates and the society

How will the Lokpal bill check the corruption amongst corporates.
Yes, I agree that as long as the public servants maintain probity, it will be hard for the corporates to get their way through. But should not the lokpal's ambit include the corrupt dealings of corporates with public servants like power to cancel or stay contracts, confiscation of wealth amassed by way of favourable policies etc.

My concern is that it is often repeated that the current spike in the magnitude of corruption is primarily due to the neo liberal policies which have invariably been found to favour a few rich men at the expense of the masses. If there is no threat of punishment to this "supply" of corruption, the integrity of our public servants is bound to fall prey to the lure of money one day when the intensity of this movement subsides.

Another point I wish to touch is that why are we talking only about the corruption in our political system. Should not this movement turn into a social reform movement. After all, Corruption is not a malaise plaguing only the political system. Isn't the rickshaw wallah who uses a faulty meter to dupe passengers corrupt. Or the middlemen in agricultural mandi who make a killing at the expense of the farmers and the consumers (eg Onion prices in late 2010). Or the MNCs who have invented some of the best mechanisms to circumvent our tax laws (eg: transfer pricing mechanisms etc.). Aren't those CAs corrupt who help organizations to reduce taxable incomes. Dont some lawyers try to extend cases so as to continue milking their clients. Or don't the media houses disguise advertisement as news...isn't this gross misuse of power corruption? Is this overenthusiasm in blaming the political system just an attempt by our community to absolve ourselves of this crime.

Our political system is just a reflection of our society. The need is to face this truth rather than blame our favourite whipping horse. Its time to introspect and I "India Against Corruption", with the massive goodwill it has generated through this movement, has given us a wonderful opportunity to bring about a complete transformation of our society.
06-15-2011

: Apr 2011
: Chennai
: 70
:
: 166 | 0.04 Per Day

Dear Vikas,

While what you say is very true, no society will ever be honest unless it is forced by the institutions around. Democratic institutions like the government, police, judiciary, etc., have been created only for this. But when those in charge of these institutions are corrupt, you can't correct the system.

When the risks of non-compliance are less and returns are more (e.g., you can get away receiving huge bribe, and at best there's a 1% chance of getting caught when you'll only lose one promotion), as it is now, corruption will be rampant. If the laws are strict and enforcement is strict too (like in Singapore; I'm not advocating Singapore like laws, just explaining), people will be afraid to indulge in corruption. If a minister knows that he has a high chance of going to jail after receiving bribes, and if all his wealth runs the risk of being confiscated, he may think several times before seeking bribe.

Needless to say what state we're in now, and why.

Deterrence is the best way to keep the society (away) from being corrupt.

Ganesan. :~)
06-15-2011

: Apr 2011
: Chennai
: 70
:
: 166 | 0.04 Per Day

One more point...

It's not that the ministers are very bad people, and we are all great otherwise. If they were us and we were them, chances are we would have behaved exactly as they do, and they would have behaved exactly as we do. So, it is the system we create that should make us a clean society.

And politicians would surely resist it, as they would stand to lose. We should put our foot down and have our way, as we would stand to lose otherwise.

There never was a better time than now. Anna is our best champion now, as he has a much cleaner record than most of us, and he has a good public image.

Ganesan. :~)

India Against Corruption
India Against Corruption is a PUBLIC Forum, NOT associated with any organisation(s).
DISCLAIMER: Members of public post content on this website. We hold no responsibility for the same. However, abuse may be reported to us.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0