India Against Corruption

Register

India Against Corruption > INDIA AGAINST CORRUPTION > DISCUSSIONS > NEWS & VIEWS
New Topics

Hazare writes to prime minister on why he is continuing fast

New Delhi - Indian anti-graft activist Anna Hazare Friday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to say he would not .....

• 3 Admin

08-26-2011
Administrator

: Oct 2008
:
: 100 | 0.02 Per Day
Post Hazare writes to prime minister on why he is continuing fast

New Delhi - Indian anti-graft activist Anna Hazare Friday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to say he would not end his fast until parliament accepted his three suggested provisions for a strong anti-graft ombudsman or lokpal bill.

'I haven't gone on a fast for a personal motive. The only way to prevent corruption is through the three provisions of the lokpal bill,' Hazare, 74, wrote in his letter.

Hazare has been on a hunger strike for 11 days in support his version of the draft legislation. His campaign has drawn out tens of thousands of protesters in urban centres across India.

The three features that Hazare wants are an ombudsman for each state, a citizen's charter for each government department and that the ambit of the bill should cover all government officials.

'My inner conscience says if there is a consensus (in parliament) on these three issues I will end my fast,' Hazare said in his letter read out by an aide.
Parliament is expected to discuss the issues later Friday or in a special session on Saturday but the government cannot commit to their acceptance by all lawmakers, NDTV news channel reported citing government sources.

India Against Corruption
India Against Corruption is a PUBLIC Forum, NOT associated with any organisation(s).
DISCLAIMER: Members of public post content on this website. We hold no responsibility for the same. However, abuse may be reported to us.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0