India Against Corruption

Register

India Against Corruption > ANTIRESERVATION FORUM > DISCUSSIONS on Reservation > Opinion

My Views Against Reservation in India

dear member dandymandy , i respect your view about society . Let me tell u a story , one fine .....

04-07-2011

: Apr 2011
: 43
:
: 4 | 0.00 Per Day
Thumbs up

dear member dandymandy ,
i respect your view about society .
Let me tell u a story ,

one fine day ,in 1934 ,my great grandfather was passing the road when your great grand uncle spit on him paan supari ,out of ignorance ...

So today in 2008 ,when i came to know about this incident .i with the help of some vote hungry politicians made a rule for every body related to my great grand father to get
1.reservation in education..however dumb he may be
2.reservation in jobs ...however incompetent he may be ..

All because ,your grand dad's ignorance ,you should be denied of all opportunities in life .

I dont agree to this rule ..
If u dont agree to it either ,
join us in anti -reservation campaign dear friend .

We love all indians
but as "equals"

few indians are more equal" then others ..and thats not a right thing in a democracy .

Dr.r.
you are right sir
04-07-2011

: Delhi
: 38
:
: 39 | 0.01 Per Day

Dear Friends,

I wonder if the question of reservation is as simple as just having two facets - eiethr provide or abolish. I will tell you the ground reality of my village where i have grown. India got her independence some 60 odd years back and literacy and education has gone up from a mere 1 % in 1901 to 10 % in 1951 and 75 % approximately in 2011. However, when i try to analyse the plight of lower strata of our society, i find still they are uneducated, barely literate now (get dropped out after middle class) and have not been able to take the benefit of reservation. Only 3 students from SC have made it to graduation and out of that 2 dropped it in graduation due to financial strain. One moved ahead but didn't get a respectable job.

During life, as my aspiration gone, i countered many people of SC community who are undeserving and still benefiting out of reservation system. One of my friend was son of commissioner of Bombay Municipal Corporation (BMC) and still got the reservation benefit. At the same time, i observed that many people of so called upper-caste badly disadvantaged due to financial strain and coulddn't afford to give education to their child.

These two contrasting examples bring light on paradoxical nature of reservation system. As being Indian, i do feel that, if a significant population of india are kept outside the development and growth aura, it will create dissonance in longer term (even in shorter term, we are witnessing in the form of naxalism) and hamper the growth of India as a nation. So somehow, we have ethical responsibility to bring back this disadvantageous section of society in to mainstream to create a harmonious environment for growth with equity else nation may run in civil war sometime. Further, it may be observed that village-schooling system is far away to enthuse those traits and skill which are required by say an IIM.

How can we really identify the disadvantaged section? That is a subject of brainstorming . But multiple factor comes - Place of upbringing, Education medium, Parents education, Parents monthly income, Caste, Gender etc

So, i am an advocate of affirmative action based on multiple factors in which caste is just one factor. Comprehensively multiple factors could be decided and weight can be assigned to each. Reservation entitlement and extent both must be based on these multiple factors.
Pr. Purushottam Agrawal, UPSC member and former Prof. at JNU made an humble attempt in designing such multi-factor based reservation system. His views can be accessed from here -

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main18....yond_caste.asp

PS: It may be noted down that i do not belong to disadvantaged section and views are purely unbiased.
India Against Corruption
04-17-2011

: hyderabad
: 36
:
: 2 | 0.00 Per Day

hai this is nikshant,
and i totally agree with u my friend....india will never become a super power even in its dreams until the social evil called "RESERVATION" exists in the society......i hope everybody understand this and take no offense coz we ourselves will be deprived of basic job and there will be brain drain forever.,
04-17-2011

: Mar 2011
: Patna
: 73
:
: 219 | 0.05 Per Day

Don't be despondent, my friend. It will end. The day we all realize the character of our political bosses and the day we rise like we did the other day with Anna, this monster of reservation will go. And to tell you the truth, no one will shed tears when it goes.
04-17-2011

: hyderabad
: 36
:
: 2 | 0.00 Per Day

thank u so much for replyin back....i can express my support in verbal form but when any reform comes up i wl definetely show my support in action.....
04-19-2011

: Mumbai
: 48
:
: 36 | 0.01 Per Day

Two questions to all those who so vehemently oppose reservation:
1. How much on a scale of 1 to 10 does an average Indian respect another?
2. How much on a scale of 1 to 10 does an average Indian respect him/herself (and by self-respect I mean genuine self-respect NOT ego)?

Scale: 1 - utterly bad, 10 - extremely good
04-19-2011

:
What next?

Now that you are armed with this knowledge on scale of respect, how do you propose to tackle the issue?
04-19-2011

: Mumbai
: 48
:
: 36 | 0.01 Per Day

Well Sinhaji,

Nobody has yet posted as to what they think about how much an Indian respects another. But still, what I'm getting at is self-respect and respect for others is at the root of all this.

Reservation exists because Indians do not respect Indians.
Reservation is misused because Indians do not respect Indians.

Till we, as Indians learn to respect other Indians things like this will continue. Believe me by respect I do not mean touching the feet of elders - but respect that comes out of recognising that "each individual of this country is as important as I consider myself". Till we recognise the importance of an individual's freedom of liberty w.r.t. one's own freedom liberty, things will not change.

Till we consider others below ourselves things will not change. As long as there is social injustice, reservation will be there, its misuse will be there. Its ironic, isn't it? - the tool made to remove the injustice is itself a victim of the injustice it is supposed to remove.

Last edited by rohitbd; 04-19-2011 at 10:48 PM
04-20-2011

:
Great thoughts

Great indeed to have said so. But it calls for a debate on a different wave length. Let us reserve it for some other occasion. There will be time to discuss subtle things that impact our day to day life including respect for others.
07-14-2011

: Jul 2011
: Gujarat
: 33
:
: 1 | 0.00 Per Day
Arrow Answers

My dear friend,
I would like to counter your first statement " Personally, I feel that since God has made us equal", yes I do agree upon that. Then the question arises as to -

1. Why was the caste system first of all imposed in History, if "God has made us equal"?
  2. Why were the Shudras (as you call us) were made to do all the dirty jobs, if "God has made us equal"?
  3. Why were we kept out of the city and deprived of education, if "God has made us equal"?

Ask these basic questions to your elite community and if you truly get those answered then you might think reservation is our right and accept that wholeheartedly.
  1. Why was the caste system first of all imposed in History, if "God has made us equal"?
ANS : In history cast was not based on birth. Their casts were defined by "
karma "
2. Why were the Shudras (as you call us) were made to do all the dirty
jobs, if "God has made us equal"?
ANS:
Shudra not done any work " free ". They got money for their work and othe peoples like kshatriya,vaishya or bramans.
3. Why were we kept out of the city and deprived of education, if "God has made us equal"?
ANS: No one kept out from cities. farmers are also live far from cities. They live in villages.

After all in the past and even today...The life style of the dalits is dirty. even if they got higher post there are no change in their habits. They not bath and care their body.
In the past 60 years reservation can't improve their life... How can you say that now reservation will improve their life?
Actually peoples who favor the reservation are not wanted to do hard work and wants all benefits free and without working !