10-22-2008
Glory

: Oct 2008
: India
: 36
:
: 59 | 0.01 Per Day
Arrow I am for women reservation in Parliament: Kalam

Women organizations, struggling for over a decade for 33 percent reservation in Parliament and state assemblies,had got a strong supporter in our Ex-President A P J Abdul Kalam

He feels that the move would change the ''dynamics of Indian politics.'' ''I am for women reservation in Parliament,'' Dr Kalam told about his views on the controversial Women Reservation Bill, which has been stalled for over a decade due to absence of consensus.

''I will answer your question only if you tell me how womenmembers constituting 33 percent of the total strength in Parliament,will change the dynamics of Indian politics,'' he said.

When he was told that welfare measures like health, habitation,and employment would be more in focus of the polity and corruptionwould reduce, the President agreed.

However, he said that the answer was ''incomplete'' as he feltthat the presence of more women in legislature would transform thedynamics of Indian politics.

''It will reduce the present level of violence in the polity,'' Dr Kalam pointed out.