05-08-2012
Ganesan

: Apr 2011
: Chennai
: 70
:
: 166 | 0.03 Per Day

Hi everyone,

When I look back at what all have happened since first proposing Jan Lokpal Bill, I think it was a very wise move to have started with "Jan Lokpal Bill" as the goal.

If only Team Anna had remained focused on Jan Lokpal Bill, and not discussed any other issues or individuals (incl. politicians), the credentials and esteem of Team Anna would have remained strong across the country. It would not have given room for adverse comments by detractors.

On every issue related to Jan Lokpal Bill, the team should have presented a single view, and on all other issues or on individuals, the team should have refused to be drawn into any controversy; it could have allowed members to present their personal points of view, making it clear these views have nothing to do with Team Anna.

Even now, I genuinely believe that just passing Jan Lokpal Bill (with already built in checks and balances, with modifications in the interest of consensus, where Team Anna agreed) will bring down corruption in our society substantially, to much more tolerable levels. Punishment, if it is reasonably certain and stiff (i.e., if the risk is much more than the rewards of corruption) will put fear into the minds of people, and most of the corrupt fence sitters (who are the vast majority) would back-track, fearing loss of job, imprisonment and social dis-memberment.

I'm sorry to see that even Team Anna members have been recently saying that Jan Lokpal bill by itself would not have been adequate to address corruption; they have been defensive. Team Anna appears to be losing focus and direction. There's no way they can bring in Jan Lokpal Bill if they themselves don't feel confident.

If Team Anna doesn't take charge with due importance to the more sober and focused members (like Justice Hegde) in the team and move forward, a great opportunity would have been lost. And people will start feeling less confident that corruption can ever be checked,... much less confident than before Team Anna was formed.

A simple intelligent move now could be for Anna and Justice Hegde to re-constitute the Team Anna.

Views?

Ganesan. :~)